Saturday, September 27, 2008

What I learned about toilet paper

A blog with no posts is sort of sad. Kind of like a lunchbox with no lunch in it. Or Saturday Night Live with no political jabs or impersonations. Or the Simpsons without some sort of cultural parody. Just sort of sad and useless.

So I am posting our first post on our joint blog, and it's about toilet paper. Perhaps not the most worthy of subjects for a blog posting - and a first blog posting at that, but at least it's something.

I discovered this morning, upon reaching the end of a roll of toilet paper that toilet paper rolls are cut AFTER the paper is rolled up on them. Now that I think about it, it makes logical sense; rolling up roll after roll and trying to make each one roll up with perfectly matched edges would be nigh unto impossible. I discovered this this morning because in my particular roll, the paper had somehow gotten all bunched up right up against the cardboard tube, resulting in a lot of folds and creases in the paper when it was rolled. But since the machine cut the roll away from the others after rolling, the sheets that came out at the end were all crazy shaped and full of zig-zags, some with larger widths than usual, some with narrower. It was an AHA moment for me.

Hopefully we can bring you more interesting posts in the future. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Jacob Miller said...

As the first commenter I would like to ask for an encore of your insight and wisdom. Today, toilet paper. Tomorrow, the world?